Archive for category Public Performance

Playing Songs From IPod in Auditorium

Q. Groups in our school have a need to play songs for events such as the Variety Show, Prom Style Show, etc. I recently found out that they are using a personal IPOD and hooking it through the sound system. The songs have been purchased through the Apple download site for 79 or 99 cents. I would like to know if my thinking on this problem is correct: Songs downloaded are for personal use. There are no public performance rights attached. Playing them through the auditorium system to a crowd who has paid for tickets would be a potential infringement of the copyright law. Are my assumptions correct?

A. Your assumptions are correct.

Tags: ,

Use of Entertainment Videos for Family Night

Q. May we use an entertainment video, rented from a neighborhood rental store, for a family night at our school?

A. The use of entertainment videos for a public showing, with or without an admittance charge, requires a public performance license. Your neighborhood rental agency is not empowered to grant such a license.

Movie Licensing USA represents a number of well known production companies, such as Disney, Universal Studios, Dreamworks etc., that by the payment of an annual fee, per student at your school, it covers your school’s use of any entertainment video for use in the school for non-instructional purposes. This would include using it for the purpose you intend, with the requirement that the video title could not be used in any promotional piece or advertising and no admission charge is made for viewing the movie.

Once having the license, videos may be obtained by purchase, rental, loan, or by donation to the school.

You may contact Movie Licensing USA at 877-321-1300 or on the web at On the web you will find a listing of all the potential uses of entertainment videos covered by the license and the terms and restrictions of use.

Tags: , ,